Vonitsa is built near the site of ancient Anactorium, an important city of Acarnania, founded by Corinthians in 630 BC and was founded during Byzantine rule. Vonitsa was controlled by the Republic of Venice between 1684 and 1797. After the Greek War of Independence, the town became a part of Greece in 1832.
Vonitsa with its beautiful natural environment is a perfect setting for a break of a couple of weeks and the medieval castle and the ancient site nearby will give you plenty of opportunity for sightseeing.
* The castle of Vonitsa, up on the hill, built at the Byzantine period.
* The church of Saint Mary, near the port of Vonitsa.
* The church of Agios Spiridonas, in the centre of Vonitsa.
* Koumoumitsa, the islet in the bay of Vonitsa, which has access by a stone footbridge that connects it to the beach.
* The fortress of Aktion, built in the 18th century.
* The lake of Voulkaria, near at the village of Agios Nikolaos.
* Thyrion village, built above the hill with wonderful views of the Gulf of Amvrakikos.
Vonitsa is the Perfect place for your base camp if you want to explore the Ionian Sea. Corfu, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Ithaca, Lefkada and Paxi are easily accessible by boat and you will able to discover why these islands are considered to be among the most beautiful places in the world!
Only 30km (20min/17nm) away from Vonitsa you can visit Lefkada. Considered as the Caribbean of Greece, Lefkada island amazes visitors with the exotic blue color of its beaches. Connected to the mainland through a small bridge, Lefkada can actually be accessed by car, so there is no need for ferry.
This is the perfect place for families, couples and large groups of friends, as it has something for everyone. The beaches, on the western coast of Lefkada Greece, distinguish for the wonderful color and the impressive landscape, particularly Porto Katsiki, Egremni and Kathisma.
Around the island, visitors can find lovely villages with fish taverns by the sea and surrounded by lush greenery. Nidri, Vassiliki, Sivota, the Town and Agios Nikitas are beautiful places with special character each one.